Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Pleasant Surprise

This has been a typical Missouri Synod convention.  The delegates make a mess by choosing policies that are "progressive", and then select a solid, conservative man to handle the mess.  They did it to J.A.O. Preus in the 1960's.  They did it to Alvin Barry in the 1980's.  Now we have done it to Matthew Harrison.

Don't get me wrong, I am delighted that Matthew Harrison was elected -- and on the first ballot!  I praise God that He did not leave Matthew alone, but gave him a good man for first Vice-President in Herbert Mueller.  Three of the four other VP's were also confessional men likely to be of one mind with our new president.  Still, they will have to deal with the unwise re-organization of the Synod chosen by the delegates.

While I am not cheered by the direction of the Synod's votes on polity, I am comforted that we will have good men leading the Synod as it puts it into place.  I must leave the final outcome in the hands of our Lord - nothing else is clear in this jumble.

Thank you, Lord, for the comfort of the election of this Presidium!

No comments: